Friday, June 20, 2008

Love/Hate

Nope, not the bar owned by Ami James & Chris Nunez from Miami Ink (the tattoo show on TLC). I wish, but that's not what this is about.

It's about my relationship with running. On one hand, I love how I feel afterwards - exhilarated, energized, happy to be done. I also love that it's a great workout.

On the other hand, I hate being uncomfortably hot, that I'm not faster, that I took almost a month off and lost a bunch of fitness and have to walk periodically during the runs. The other thing I hate is that I have to force myself to slow down. Trying to slow down while running is like riding the motorcycle in first gear when you should be in third. It's not easy. But for now, it's necessary. It's true, when I slow down - even a little - I'm more successful and less ticked off at myself for the calf injury and said month off.

And while I'm out there plodding along (3.10 miles today), I wonder how 26.2 is going to feel. Cuz at the moment, it seems impossible.

But, I'll keep going and logging the miles however necessary. As Dean Karnazes so eloquently put it "Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must. Just never give up."

1 comments:

Jenn said...

Yes, I'm a little worried about 26.2 at this point. More worried than I was last year at this point. Maybe it's because we've been through part of it and we're respecting the distance a bit more? Keep running, we'll get through it!