Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Third of the Way

Well, so to speak & if you round up. 9 miles today, about 11 min per mile, which is about a third of the marathon. Actually, the Garmin only read 8.70, but that's because for some reason, it didn't feel the need to count the first .30 miles. So, I reset it started it over. Damn technology.

I was up early, around 6:40, due to the impending heat & humidity. It was nicer out that I expected, so that was a huge plus. As much as I hate getting up early, I really do like running at that time of day, especially on the weekends. There is very little traffic & not many people out. I pass the occasional fellow runners and maybe a bike rider or two, but that's pretty much it.

I walked a few times, but ran most of it. I feel good - knees are a little sore, but since it's really the first long run of the season, that's okay. I feel alot better than I did last year after my first long run, post-PF, so that's improvement, right?

I realize Gurnee is mostly flat & I won't disrespect the hills of American by calling Gurnee hilly, but they are definite inclines. Heading west on Grand Avenue, they may as well be Mt. Everest. Trust me. I think being able to conquer these is good, helps with the training and that god-forsaken hill at the end of the marathon course. The hills were good to me today. The better news is that on the way back, it's mostly downhill, right up until I hit the incline on O'Plaine, which is near the end of my run and isn't any fun. But even that was doable today.

Just over 3 months to go!

1 comments:

Jenn said...

Congrats on the niner! Funny, I wa trying to calculate during my 7 mile too . . .I'm more than 1/4 of the way there . . .