Sunday, October 12, 2008

Race Day (Edited 10/13)

Today, October 12th....I got up early and headed to Juju's house. She and I drove down early. Dave, Brian and John met up with her later in the morning. She dropped me off at Charity Village, and headed to find a spot.

Running for a charity is so amazing. The American Cancer Society (ACS) once again did a fantastic job with their tent. At the ACS dinner on Friday, we sat with 2 ACS runners - Krista (and her Mom) and Brooke (and her Dad). I saw Brooke in the tent and we walked out to the starting corrals with the ACS group. The gun went off at 8:00, and it took a good 25 minutes to hit the start.

It was warm - not 2007 warm, but warm. Around mile 4, my calf began to hurt. "No way" I thought, "I am not blowing out this dang calf muscle." I slowed down and stopped to massage it often. At the half way point, I saw Julee, Dave, B and John. That was the toughest part of the run for me, between 13 and 18ish. I was tired and warm, but knew I'd finish and didn't care what time I'd clock. I saw my posse at mile 16 again, which was awesome. By mile 18, I was feeling better. My calf was still sore, but not horribly. I got weepy at mile 20, because I knew I only had 6.2 left and that I was actually going to finish this thing. From 18 on, I felt awesome. I don't know if it was a second wind, the GU Rocktane gels, or the grace of God, but I was headed in and happy as hell.

The turn off Michigan Avenue onto Roosevelt Road is mile 26. My hands were in the air, and I'm yelling "we're almost done!" It was there I saw my posse again and just ran by and yelled "I'm almost done!" and just kept going. Eastbound on Roosevelt Road is uphill, which is just cruel, but it wasn't that bad. I made the left onto Columbus and hauled butt to the finish line - 5 hours and 33 minutes after I crossed the start line.

My goal was 5 hrs, but I am not the least bit bothered by my time. I trained for months, lined up and FINISHED the best I could, given the conditions. My right calf hurts like crazy, but otherwise, I feel great.

I headed back to the ACS tent, where I saw Krista, who must have been right in front of me and Brooke who was right behind me. Congrats on your first marathon, gals, you're amazing!

Dave, B, Julee and John met me at the tent. We took pictures, then headed over to the 27 Mile Party, where some genius at Nike decided it would be a great idea to offer Finisher merchandise to finishers only at the end of the run. Brilliant. Of course, I bought a few things.

For anyone considering a marathon, I have one piece of advise - respect the distance. It is not easy, and you just don't know what Mother Nature, or your own body, is going to throw your way. That said, crossing the finish line is an amazing feeling. The training and marathon run were ALL ME, and I did it. Will I do it again? Yes, but in a few years. I'm going to stick to half-marathons for awhile.

Many, many sincere thanks to the ACS group - just like last year, you were all amazing. From the tent to the route support, you all rock. Thanks to the fabulous people of the great City of Chicago. As in 2007, you were out with hoses and ice. And you were there cheering us on. You have no idea how much that means to the runners. Kudos to the Chicago Marathon committee - the aid stations were well-stocked, and your volunteers were the best.

Thanks to all my friends who I'm sure were tired of listening to my training stories. Thanks to Jenn, my online friend who I'm sure I'll actually meet one of these days! Jenn, next year is your year! Thanks to Brandi who had awesome time today, finishing yet another hot one - your email support through this has been priceless. A huge thanks to everyone who donated to my American Cancer Society fundraiser. Your generosity helped me raise $1,180.00!!

I also want to mention Michele again - if you've been reading my blog, you know she is my wonderful friend who qualified for Boston in June 2008. Michele, I don't know how the heck you ran a 3:40 marathon, but damn girl, you rock. I'll probably never see a finish time like that, but I have a whole new respect for you and all the crazy fast runners out there.

Finally, thanks to my wonderful, supportive family: Dave, for putting up with my insanity over the last 4 months; Julee, for her unwaivering support and always being willing to get up early for the 20 miler or the marathon - you are the best sister ever. John, for marrying my sister and being so very cool, for his support and following my butt all over the city; Brian, for cheering me on and being proud of his Mom, and my Mom, who is always, always supportive. I love all of you more than you know.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Great job, Karin! Sounds like you were well prepared and finished strong. Glad you enjoyed the race; you really did great.

So, sore yet?

Jenn said...

You did it! Damn, I tried to find you, and actually got a text that you had crossed right when I was near the finish line but way too many people. So close! Awesome job Karin, and you were happy at the end, so even better. And to think that you ran in this heat! Maybe not 2007 warm, but pretty damn close. I was hot and sweating just from moving from El stop to El stop; can't imagine what it was like running. Hey, the John Bingham Half/Chgo Distance Classic is turning into a Rock ' N Roll Half in Chicago next year. We have to plan a race so we can actually meet at some point!! Ok, holy long comment batman. Relax, you deserve it!

Karin said...

Hey guys! Thanks!! Yes, Chris, I am sore and my calf is killing me, but it was fun. And Jenn, I'm in for any halfs next year. I think there is one in March that I'm going to do and I'll definitely do the CDC.

Chris said...

I think both of you should join me in Phoeniz, AZ in January for the Rock 'n Roll half! Come on, what do you say?? Fellow bloggers Jill and Alissa will be there. Sounds like fun, right?

Kitzzy said...

Great race report and congrats on finishing strong! I hope your calf is better soon.

Jen Booth said...

Karin,
Congrats on a great job. I am so happy for you that you finished...that is a great accomplishment.

~Brandi~ said...

Karin - your race update brought tears to my eyes, must be the post marathon blues :) Thanks for making my marathon experience this year so much better by chit chatting w/ me in email and on FB. You are such an inspiration to so many, you had an ailment early on, yet you stayed strong and finished what you started - you are truly amazing! Isnt the finish line a feeling like no other - You Go Girl! I hope to meet up and do a 1/2 with you at some point - that would be fun! Keep in touch Girl - Great job on an amazing ride!