Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Biggest Loser

On this weeks episode, the contestants were sent home for a week to spend time with their families. After being home for what appeared to be 30 seconds, each received a tin of sugar cookies. In the message DVD included, they were told they would be running a half marathon. For each cookie eaten, they could add 5 minutes to any other contestant's time....all for the $10K prize. (as a side note, only ONE contestant ate a cookie in an effort to sabotage another contestant's time, thus adding 5 minutes to her time, and causing her to lose the $10K prize. Nice...)

All seemed shocked that they had to run a half. I was too. I realize they have been working out for awhile, but had they done enough for a half marathon? It appeared each contestant had a coach or someone familiar with running alongside them during the half. And, to their credit, most of the contestants finished, the top 2 in around 2:24/2:25.

But, I still wonder if this sends the right message. 13.1 miles is still a long way. And for those who have never done distance running, shouldn't it have been approached with a bit more training? Even one of the contestants said "isn't a half marathon something you do when you're DONE with the Biggest Loser, not while you're still doing it?"

In the first running controversy, Dane gets voted off and decides to train with his wife for a marathon. We know how that all turned out. And now a half, just sprung upon them?

I like the Biggest Loser. I like that it sends the message of "eat right, work out and lose weight", albeit extreme for television.

But the running thing bugs me. In the world of running, haven't we all paid our dues during training for marathons or halfs or whatever the distance of choice? Twice now, the show seems to have trivialized the importance of proper training and preparation.

I just don't get it......

4 comments:

jlou said...

Crap! Now I'm doubly upset that I missed most of this weeks episode.

While, I'm far from an expert, it seems to me that running a half is 2.5+ish hours (for these folks, at least) of them putting the same kind of strain on their body over and over again. Even if somebody is in great shape overall, you have to build your body up to handle that kind of repetitive stress or your asking for injuries. But maybe I'm wrong.

Chris said...

Even worse, My half time of 2:17 is WAY to close to the top 2 finishers time! What's up with that??

And you guys are right. a bit dangerous if you ask me.

jodes said...

I'm right there with you!! It really kinda bothered me that they threw them right into it with no formal training. Made it seems like any ole person off the street could run a half in no time at all. Which, I'm sure they could, but training is so important. I dunno, whatever. lol.

Karin said...

I agree with all of you! And yes, Chris..my goal is to finish my half in way less time than 2:24!