Saturday, August 9, 2008

Soooo..

5 miles yesterday afternoon. I still hate running when it's even remotely warm. I think I need one of those lights to wear on my head, like coal miners, so I can see the ground in front of me, and just run at night. That said, it was 5 miles at 10:16 pace. I did walk a few times, especially at the end, but turned off the Garmin each time. So, I really did RUN 5 miles.

At the beginning of the run, I was thinking "hmm, maybe this time off was good. I feel strong, nothing hurts. This should be good". By the end, I was cursing myself for not being consistent. I know, I had I started out slower, I wouldn't have had to stop so often at the end. Whatever....

Here's another thing.....a big shout out to the crazy lady in the huge SUV turning into the post office who CLEARLY saw me, but did not feel the need to stop or even slow down. I was running in the same direction she was driving (south). She was sitting in the turn lane, waiting for the north bound cars to pass. So, yeah, she saw me and apparently, didn't care. Or hates runners. Whatever the reason, I had to come to an abrupt stop to avoid getting tossed into the parking lot. And yes, she got an earful because her window was open as she passed....

On a similar note, the DJ's on 101.9 were talking about the lakefront path the other day. The lakefront path is really nice, but seems to be getting more & more crowded these days with walkers, runners, bikers, rollerbladers, etc. They were saying how runners were the nicest bunch, because the stay to the right, waive hello and all that. Walkers in large groups tended to take up the entire path, instead of keeping it 2 across and bikers were the worst because they tend to speed up and down the path, like its the freaking Tour de France.

I don't encounter alot people while running - maybe because I'm usually running down the side of some road where sane people do not go. I do pass groups of bikers quite often. Bikers crack me up because they're rarely friendly. The only time I've had any of them acknowledge my existence while running was a few weeks ago. Two women rode by, said hi and waived.

I always waive. We're all out there for some form of exercise, so just be nice. The male bikers tend to be serious as hell about their trek down O'Plaine Road, and I find it kind of funny. I'm not out there pretending to be Deena Kastor, don't pretend to be Lance Armstrong, dudes.

10 scheduled for tomorrow morning. Good luck to Jenn at the CDC Half Marathon!!

1 comments:

Jenn said...

Thanks Karin! And good luck with the 10 miler. Be careful out there . . watch out for those crazy drivers!