Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pondering....

After reading the post by Kristina, I've been thinking a lot about what was said. Specifically, "There are three types of people in this world. There are the people who live fearlessly and eagerly do scary things like BASE jumping. There are the people who live cautiously and rarely do anything bolder than driving somewhere new without Mapquest. And then there are the cautious people drawn to scary things, the people who are anxious and guarded about most everything but sign up for stuff that feels crazy anyway."

Kristina goes on to say, "Sometimes, we have to do things are really hard, all by ourselves." That I completely agree with.

I wouldn't say I'm anxious or guarded with most everything, but I do fall into the third category (actually, I'd prefer to be in the first example, but being responsible for an almost 9 year old takes me out of the running for that one). If you would have asked me 10 years ago if I'd run 2 marathons, I would have laughed. But, alas, I did (okay, 1.75. I trained like hell for Chicago 2007, and got out there. They canceled it on me, but that's another story.)

But, I do think that sometimes we do have to do things that are really hard, and do them alone. Pushing oneself to new heights takes willpower and guts. It's been a unique year for me..being unemployed and taking on an entirely new role at home, and trying to figure out what to do with my life and how to do it. I've learned a lot about myself since January, but also think I have more to learn.

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Sure, it's been hard, and I've dealt with it alone - mostly in my own head, because all the changes have required me to think differently. I fully intend to keep pushing ahead, doing scary things and challenging myself. I don't know what fate has in store for me, and that's okay - I know what I'd like it to have in store, and I will continue to work toward that. But you know what they say about life happening while you're busy making plans...

Whatever it is will happen exactly when its supposed to. In the meantime, you'll find me pondering the great mysteries of the universe and clearing my head while running my ass off.

Now, go take a look at Kristina's blog. She's amazing!

0 comments: